Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Belated Hellos

It's been just over a week since GoodReads imploded, which is unfortunate because the news doesn't seem to have gotten very far.What uproar came from the publishing industry from Amazon's purchase doesn't seem to have come again after all fears were confirmed.

Naturally, my post about that is still languishing in my wordpress drafts, where it has plenty of company at least.

In the meantime, I thought I'd actually introduce myself here instead of just lurking and following people like a creeper. Hi! Too bad I've never said much on GoodReads either because I'm not sure anyone remembers who I am. Oops.

Hopefully I'll gather myself enough to finish that GoodReads post, because I do think it has industry implications, and that's my area of focus (once, I thought I'd be willing to make a living as an editor—it's even less than authorship, given your name isn't even likely to end up in the book). If I do finish it, I may repost here. And booklikes may help me build my own 'brand' in terms of actually writing reviews.  (Maybe...)

Dear Amazon, I'm more than happy to use your servers to talk to all the lovely people there. However, I'll also be keeping my words to myself. Hope you didn't want to sell them!

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate