Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

The Illumination - Kevin Brockmeier This was probably a good choice for an ebook, because I don't think I focus as well, at least not reading on the computer. And I enjoyed Illumination: Brockmeier's language is beautiful and clearly illustrates different perspectives--though perhaps not strictly the characters voices. I'm sure sure I'd have had the patience if I'd read the physical book, and probably would have been more frustrated with the ending. Also, I think he's trying to say something overarching about humanity in this novel, but quite frankly I have no idea what. Nonetheless, it was a pleasurable and fairly quick read.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate