Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

the age of things unwritten (BlankVerseDead folio series) - Pablo D'Stair I received a copy of this from the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.I'm sorry to give "the age of things unwritten" such a low rating. I'm a great supporter of poetry and I love the concept of the BlankVerseDead folio series. First, while I don't mind the newprint pages, I do wish it had some kind of card-stock cover or any cover protection. Newspaper is so fragile.As for the poetry, I don't know what it was trying to say. I don't know that it said anything at all. As close as I can come is some kind of relationship drama. Now I'm not saying poetry has to 'mean' something, or be otherwise significant. But if I can't take anything away from it—some form of discourse at least from the author to myself—what can I take from it? What most lets me down is that "the age of things unwritten" doesn't illuminate anything: not an image, not a moment, not an emotion or concept. So what's it for?There are a few lines I enjoyed. VI: "it's not night enough for moonlight" VII: I'll be rakish in secret, unclothed in the dark"..."the way my pocket fits your hand" for example. You notice that neither of these make up a complete thought? Because of the poem does that, build line on line and never quite make a conclusion. You can't just read it for the sound either. While a couple of the parts have sections that are readable aloud, these clunks just keep tripping up the tongue. It's possible this is deliberate, but I've read this little booklet several times (and aloud) and they don't seem to come at any stylistically/thematically important moment.I'll probably leave this booklet on the library giveaway bookshelf, so maybe someone who will appreciate more than I do will find it.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate