Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

The Crimes of Dr. Watson - Duane Swierczynski The story was interesting and the props fun. I can't say the mystery made any sense, but I couldn't figure out the clues, despite, for once, making the effort. Though I deduced the criminal by rights of narrative casualty. And the book is beautiful. Lots of illustrations, and the props really are well done. However, the newspaper had a story printed on the cover and inside, and that was apparently not a clue. The alternate interpretation of "The Adventure of the Empty House" is a version of a others I've seen before so it didn't take me too much by surprise, though it seemed perhaps a little far fetched.As there was such attention to detail however, I rather wish the introduction, which took place in modern day, wasn't given the same treatment as the "original" letters from the modern day when they're talking about emails and things.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate