Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

The New Policeman - Kate Thompson It took a while to get used to the (very) short chapters and, for lack a better term, the musical interludes, but once so accustomed, they weren't intrusive on the story at all: and I liked how the scores effectively named the preceding chapter.I felt for all of the characters, especially the family left behind, and Thompson handled the situation both with empathy but not too much pathos. There's enough depth and complexity in the emotion even for adult readers, though it's clear enough for the younger audience. However, J.J., the young protagonist, is 15, and for some reason pictured him quite a bit younger. The plot was, perhaps less than complex or original, but the characters were engaging enough that I simply read it all in one sitting: literally couldn't put it down, though it only took me a few hours. Overall a fun read, but unless you are willing to read it all at once, the short chapters and basic story might be too obvious. Still, it kept me reading up past my bedtime ;) and I'm glad to have read it.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate