Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer - Franklin Walker, Joseph Conrad When I picked it up in January, I got about half-way through Heart of Darkness and got nothing out of it. As I read, I could hardly tell what was going on.This may have been because I wasn't paying attention.Actually, that is exactly the reason. I was treating it like an assignment. When I picked up the book again, the second half of Heart of Darkness was far more interesting, and then The Secret Sharer was pretty cool too. I mean, the stories are a little odd, about somewhat odd characters. But once I finished The Secret Sharer, I went back and reread Heart of Darkness from the beginning and all in one go. That helped a lot. Interesting, mysterious, nice description. Worth reading, and at least I don't have to stare at it unread on my shelf, or regret owning it in the first place.However, what is with the sky and sea welded together "without a joint"(paraphrased)? I liked it well enough in Heart of Darkness, but then it showed up again in The Secret Sharer and really stood out, for that reason alone.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate