Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

The Ha-Ha - Dave King Between the back cover text, and the cover image, I had rather the wrong idea about the novel: include The Ha-Ha and it feels positively pastoral. It isn't, but it's a good book all the same.Howie isn't likable, exactly, but you do want him to succeed, and given the first half, it isn't as predictable as it sounds at first. Howie, as a character, actually struggles, instead of having contrived setups as obstacles, all of Howie's difficulties are part and parcel of who he is, and it's not really a matter of overcoming.His exact disability isn't clear, although that's hardly necessary. Occasionally as I read, though, I questioned how he was telling his story, considering the original injury specifically affects his ability to communicate, and yet his narration sounds like it was authored by someone with MFA in writing. Still, Dave King does a better job of staying in-character, for such a different character than himself, than most other MFA authors I've read. Ryan and his mother are both good characters: Ryan as a genuine seeming kid, and Sylvia as, well, as selfish, self-centered current and former addict. I really didn't like Sylvia, and I did kind of hope for some redemption of that character, but that couldn't happen in this book, and for that matter wouldn't be one I'd enjoy reading.The Ha-Ha: A Novel is a compelling enough read, I finished it overnight. But if it has a weakness, it's that it's not a visual, textural, sensual sort of novel. If there's one thing I'd expect from a narrator who'd lost his language and all his words, it'd be someone who didn't get paid by the word, so to speak. Like I said, an MFA author. Still, that's not a big flaw, and Howie is interesting enough to convince me to go along anyway.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate