Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier - Robert A. Emmons I wouldn't say Thanks! is particularly deep or insightful and it doesn't cover the 'scientific' aspect of gratitude and how it affects humanity etc. It uses a lot of the anecdotes, which I'm not fond of, though for a book on so subjective a subject there's little else to do. As a Christian, I find it odd to say this, but for the kind of book this is, I was surprised by the emphasis on Christianity-related gratitude a little disconcerting--perhaps because it purported to be a scientific analysis. That's something I can see turning off a lot of readers.The advice chapter, the last, could be useful to many, if it's followed. Again, not original or deep, but no bad either, and Emmons is a clear writer and easy to follow.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate