Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

A Game of Thrones  - George R.R. Martin I think what turned me off most was the hype, because I was expecting awesome characters - all the reviews (that I'd read at the time) seemed to agree. And the characters, while flawed, weren't interesting, weren't alive in the imagination as any decent character should be. Fundamentally, it may be a conflict between what this story is - or at least, is starting to be - and the vehicle through which Martin is telling the story. That is, it's a political epic told through discrete viewpoints of characters who mostly don't have any ability to do anything. It's aggravating as hell, excuse my language.Too many of the characters where children who didn't sound like children, and frankly, Eddard was TSTL anyway, so I didn't really miss him. Spoilers? Also, nothing really started happening until about page 400. Sure, there was a lot of back story and some world-building in those pages, but mostly nothing that I, as a reasonably experienced reader, couldn't have done without.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate