Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

World and Town - Gish Jen Really, ultimately disappointing. The interludes from other characters just served as a distraction: really the story is all Hattie's. And I'm not entirely shure what Jen is trying for with this novel. I liked the part where Hattie is trying to cope with her current life and her Chinese heritage, and how to answer her relatives still in China who feel they need the bones of her parents. I also liked how she felt about her history with her husband Joe. But Carter, who was the 'first love' and apparently the 'true love' of her life. Well, first of all she seems to accept that he has anything at all to say about how she lived her life, that it wasn't worthy or as good as it should have been. Rather disappointed that she ended up with him, but she accepted it.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate