Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Skull Duggery - Aaron Elkins I have a fondness for Gideon Oliver that much resembles my enjoyment of tv shows such as Numb3rs and Criminal Minds. They're quasi-based in 'real-life' applications of science-y things, even when you put them all together it doesn't really work.But that's okay, because I really do like the characters, and the stories are engaging, and the ends are enough of a surprise that I don't mind how well/poorly they may have been set up. One thing: there is a point were Gideon and his wife are at the hotel, where it so happens a few feminists are staying for a convention. Julie asks what heteronormative means and Gideon defines it as (paraphrased) 'people who think there are more than two sexes' and both of them are pretty dismissive. While this isn't really my area and I'm not all that well educated about the issue, I do know that it's a gender issue, and there are more than two genders, because self-definitions of gender are often complicated. I let it slide for two reasons: 1) biologically, there are two sexes and Gideon and Julie don't realize that's the issue, given it's entirely out of their fields, and 2)Gideon's just old and doesn't (yet) know better. Since the facts of it were wrong anyway, I'm willing to think that once Gideon realizes his mistakes he'll know better.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate