Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Exposed - Kimberly Marcus This is only the second novel in verse I've read, the other being Out of the Dust, so I'm not very familiar with the genre's conventions or even if there is a defined genre.Exposed did bring me to tears at a few points and at times vividly illustrated the fracturing of a forever-best relationship. Marcus brought to life the good times I had with my own 12-year-long best-friendship, so well, in fact, that I wished they could have somehow made it through. And she also brought to life the tensions in a family under unimaginable stress and Liz being trapped in an impossible situation, who bears no fault but can't simply choose.The first few poems didn't work well for me: they were a little too free for the verse part, just typical life without particularly strong images or especially vivid language, but they tighten up, become much more evocative with the emotional upheaval that makes up the main plot of the novel. It does happen occasionally after, but at that point you care so much for all of these characters, even the spaces of their lives matter.All in all, I definitely recommend a read--it hardly takes long, why not?

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate