Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Austenland - Shannon Hale Okay, so this wasn't a great work of "Literature", but it was so much fun! Can't remember why, exactly, I checked it out, because quite honestly I'm not a fan of most of the Jane Austen-obsessed women of many contemporary chic-lit romances, but I did just read Hale's Princess Academy which was fantastic, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that she can pull of a contemporary adult romance as well. Now, I was concerned right at the beginning when the main character says she loved all of Austen's novels except Northanger Abbey—but then again, when I think about it, that's practically a plot point (if you know Austen, and know how these romances tend to work, you may guess what point Hale's making). As for myself, I can only work up a cackling joy Murder at Mansfield Park. Must. Have.Anyway.Jane (the character) is great fun: warm and friendly, semi-aware of her issues but just not quite able to overcome her obsession with fantasy Darcy/Firth. She even got me laughing aloud several times, and finished it in one night. Even if you don't much like romances, I think you can read this: just pay attention to all the clever parallels Hale pulls over to Austen's own work. A great homage.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate