Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Some Danger Involved - Will Thomas I first found this novel through my mom's Reader's Digest. Then I bought the 'special offer' edition, and the second through fourth books in the series. At some point I donated the first two, bought the last one and then returned it. That left me with just The Limehouse Text and The Hellfire Conspiracy. Then I visited a used bookstore that carried Some Danger Involved, To Kingdom Come, and The Black Hand. Clearly, it was fate.I didn't actually read the whole book last night, I started on chapter four, since I'd read up to that point when I bought the book (again). Frankly, the Reader's Digest edition of this novel, if not better than the original, definitely plays to the strengths: the characters and the action. It's a little pulpy, but Thomas definitely takes on a different perspective of Victorian London, populated by outsiders. Barker, the primary detective having very strong ties to China, Llewelyn (obviously) Welsh, the Jewish butler (who's pretty fantastic), and French cook. There's a lot to enjoy in Some Danger Involved, though if you're familiar with history, much of this won't surprise you. Much of the text of the novel covers habits and little quirks of London that still don't add much to the setting, and I think were probably what were condensed out of R.D. Still, it's a strong mystery and Thomas definitely knows his setting.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate