Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

In the Woods - Tana French Almost, almost gave this five stars.Five for the suspense, definitely, which kept me reading until I'd finished instead of getting anything else done. Five for the foreshadowing that made me sick—in anticipation. The foreshadowing is so unnerving, in fact, that I nearly reverted to my childhood habit of reading the last page to make sure my favorite characters survived (I restrained myself).But I had to go to four because, while the novel is beautifully crafted, there was something unsatisfying about it. Too much pretty language for a rather familiar set-up, at least in the beginning. Once Rob got in the swing of things, the mystery picked up, but the characters otherwise aren't particularly strong or convincing.You know those prime-time crime dramas? I watch a number of them, and this novel really fits in that kind of pathos construct. Suspenseful as In the Woods is, it isn't very original—which is in no way a bad thing, and I'd say this is a brilliant example of the genre, so I won't take away any points for the predictably. Especially, since unlike acting, French really plumbs the depths of her detective's psyche, which is delicious.However, beware. As many great points as there are, the end is bloody depressing.**The worst is the inevitability of the depressingness, really. At the point you know for sure it's coming and he can't make it out&#8212that's how I got so far, hope—everything's built to the climax and you can't stop.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate