Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Death Comes to Pemberley - P.D. James I don't know about the choices made for this novel. Most of of the plot doesn't actually occur on the page, but is simply reiterated by at least three characters just in case the reader missed it. Maybe it needed more pages? The attempted Austen tone really doesn't work, and the dialogue is unnatural and unending. So much of it is backstory and set-up, then the last 40 pages are just a summary of what really happened. "If this were fiction, could even the most brilliant novelist contrive to make credible so sort a period in which pride had be subdued and prejudice overcome?" p 48Elizabeth Finds A Clue: (rather, interprets one) "Elizabeth said, 'I do not believe that any sweetheart carved this memento. I think it was cut by an enemy and the intention was malignant. It was carved in hatred not in love.'" p 154"Her heart was so full of love for her husband and trust in his judgement that there could be no room for criticism; she could not believe that he had acted towards Georgiana without thought or care, but perhaps the time had come when the past, however painful, had to be confronted and spoken of between brother and sister." p. 256p 140 "Elizabeth suspected that on one occasion Charlotte had taken her revenge. Elizabeth had often wondered how Lady Catherine had learned that she and Mr. Darcy6 were likely to become engaged."

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate