Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) - Jonathan Kellerman Review for readers outside the primary audience, and those who don't generally grocery store bestsellers. I think it's generally accepted as good reviewing form to not downrate a book simply because it's not the book you thought it was, or the genre you usually read.Ever since I got my e-reader, though, it happens to me all the time, since by the time I get back to the book that surely sounded interested when I bought/borrowed it I can't remember what exactly attracted me, and e-books don't seem to come with descriptions. Given this is a paperback and a Kellerman, I knew exactly what I was getting into. I raided my mom's shelves for fluff. And it did it's job. In fact, it read almost exactly like a crime procedural tv drama. Law and Order type: not much personality on the part of the narrators and no humor. That's OK. However: I couldn't tell for sure whether Alex Delaware was a man or a women for about ten pages. No, I've never read anything else in this series, and I'm pretty sure I've not read Kellerman (though it's certainly possible)>

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate