Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Dance of Death - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child I did not like this one nearly as much as the others. I mean there were points like when Smithback took the diamond that reminded me why I've been powering through the series, but I simply didn't connect to any of this.Mostly, I suppose because it turned out to be an excuse to get all the sidekick characters from earlier books into a reunion. But also because this book is about Pendergast colliding with his evil brother, and quite honestly I don't read these books for Pendergast, because characters he interacts with tend to be far more interesting. They have flaws, they have passion, and they're generally brave. Pendergast though is your generic Sherlock expy, except I get less of a sense of humanity from him. And I don't really remember the villains from the other books. Mostly because they aren't nearly as compelling or well-drawn as the sidekicks, and it's the 'supernatural' element that's the real threat, the real driving force of the novel(s). The big bad of this book has no particular paranormal element, except for being a Pendergast, but didn't inspire any thrills in me. Really, he's a younger, ginger Moriarty. I mean, at one point he's described as "almost effeminate." Really book? That's terribly cliche, and a killer whose goal, whether "Kill all of my brother's friends for giggles" or "steal ALL the diamonds!" simply doesn't inspire the fear of beings that randomly slaughter anyone they come across beyond all normal human conception.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate