Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Bloodthirsty - Flynn Meaney I had a lot of fun with this book, like I haven't in a long time.Now, as I was reading it, I could tell it wouldn't be something that would survive a rereading. The voice, as a teenage boy, is a little iffy and the characters aren't particularly complex.This isn't something that will last the ages, or even much more than a year, with all the pop culture references that even I caught.However, while the voice may not have convinced me, I fell for its turn of phrase. Even the simple characters had individual twists enough that they didn't feel like cardboard cutouts. All in all, it's not brilliant, but if you can go along with the premise and take it as is, a comedy almost in the vein of P.G. Wodehouse.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate