Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Then We Came to the End: A Novel

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris 'Literary' ShenanigansUp until the very end, even through the last few chapters about Tom, I wanted to give it three. Although that still may have been generous.I didn't mind the first person plural point of view, ultimately, at least until the last sentence. Until that last sentence I didn't feel any need to be included in the 'we'. I'm good at distancing myself, so if you want me to include me in your point of view, well, you'd better let me know. Why was there a short story right in the middle? It went from plural first person past tense, to close second person present tense! Not to mention, in the middle of that, a paragraph in second person past tense. Some of it was fun, little was particularly insightful, and of the huge cast of characters, all were entirely shallow and conventional. None of them took me by surprise, even Tom---because that just seemed ridiculous. Lynn was interesting, until we got her perspective. Mostly, just too long, I think. And no build up to the end, which just sort of ended. And until the very very last page, I still didn't mind too much, though I didn't exactly like it. Just. Annoying.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate