Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Bee Season

Bee Season - When choosing a book for the library discussion group, I was offered a list from a particular program the library uses. There really weren't many options, and none of the those I'd actually read before would be worth talking about.But Bee Season had a compelling enough concept that I chose it despite only so-so reviews here on GR. Because at least people had found enough to talk about. And my group did talk about it. We talked lots about how it failed.To be clear, we all agreed that it wasn't a bad book, just a badly-executed one. There's something almost dishonest in the construction and manipulation of the characters, and the twist at the end failed for everyone, because of lack of setup and in the character type as portrayed. Goldberg clearly had something to say: likely about the pressure of academic success on children and father/daughter relationships. You could care about Eliza, and Saul was an interesting, but static, character study.The trip and fall near the end into the metaphysical wasn't really supported by the earlier plot, and again, the twist really only distracted from what the story had, up until then, been about. It's a build up of Eliza and her mother's story wasn't every really there, and didn't mean anything. And again, no one really changes in this book, though it seems intended as a character-driven work, the characters aren't enough to carry that description.If this one is already on your list for whatever reason, you may as well read it. But if your list is long and you're thinking of adding another, skip. You may as well use the time to read something really worth it.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate