Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Transparent Lovers

Transparent Lovers - Scott Nicholson This doesn't work nearly so well as the other two Nicholson books I just finished. Between the shallow, stereotyped so-called Los Angeles and the unexamined misogyny (not to mention the lack of anything resembling characterization) it didn't give me much to connect to. Also, I read The Big Sleep just two days ago, and this is a shameful example of the genre, having finally read the original.You may be wondering what the second star is for... well, so am I. Even the concept was carelessly handled, and there were some Clare-worthy similes, and so I can't excuse the writing. Guess I'm just feeling generous... it's just a silly little story, and short, so if you like the style and can get it cheap (like I did), pick it up.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate