Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Outlander

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon So, this was a pretty engaging read, for a time-travelling romance first-book-in-a-trilogy. I enjoyed reading it well enough.What can I say? This was one of the few e-books available to rent, so because it's not something I typically enjoy, I'm probably not really being fair. Because it's a romance, the attitudes of all the characters—from the 18th century or 20th—are fairly palatable to a 21st century readership (or late 20th—at any rate, modern sensibilities). That's not a bad thing, and all the characters are well-handled, and clearly Gabaldon had done her research. This isn't really a complete story in itself, though, just the first part in a trilogy, so there are plenty of questions without answers. Having read some 700 pages though, I don't know that I need to read anymore, none of those questions really had(have) me in suspense.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate