Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Fingersmith

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters I wish I liked Fingersmith more.It's rather difficult to talk about. Because I found Part 1 rather distancing, and unconvincing as to Susan Trinder's view of the world, but it turns out to all make sense around page 350. Which was very cleverly done. But I wish that as a reader I might have been given some clue even if the character had none (difficult to do, but I've seen it done). So the plotting: intricate, clever, dramatic. Solid, and overall, convincing.The characters: Our two protagonists never run into any decent people, except for the general populace of London and country, who aren't characters per se, but there is a reason for it in the novel. It's a little more difficult that almost no one in the book—including the protagonists—are particularly likable. Except that they are, or come to be.Oh, I'm so helpful.Why I couldn't connect to this novel: The plot really seemed to lurid for Sue's and Maud's relationship. I enjoyed reading about how they came to know each other at first (without knowing each other at all) and come together again at the end so quietly and honestly.But the plot itself almost gets in the way, because really, the two women spend very page time together. I didn't mind them being apart (and thinking about each other, because this is a romance) and the time spent in the asylum is very well done, but the end is almost entirely about shedding all the fallout from the rest of the plot aside from the romance. Which, after all the grieving, was a little disconcerting. In sum, I fell for Sue and Maud and did want them to be happy together.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate