Mining the Depths

I'll read almost anything and love what captures my imagination. Best of all is responding to books in the larger cultural sense, loving or loathsome. Literature should have a place in the wider world.

And I'm another GoodReads refugee.

Agnes and the Hitman

Agnes and the Hitman - Bob Mayer, Jennifer Crusie The only reason I finished this book is because I owned it, which is good, because I did rather enjoy the second half when I could finally just let myself enjoy the ride.Otherwise, it turns out I have little to say because there's a reason I don't read much genre fiction anymore. It's because it takes too much work to enjoy a read that supposed to take no work at all. After all, that's what trippy little 'action' romances are for. Don't hate me for hating, I picked this hardcover up on clearance after I gorged myself on Jennifer Crusie's at the library a few years ago, and by the time I got around to reading it I'd outgrown the style.For what it is, it's awesome, and for the intended audience, I recommend it. The mob thing is silly and can't quite support the angst, but if you are looking for a romance with a few laughs, I'd give it a thumbs up.

The Well of Ascension
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 325/781 pages
Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Progress: 26 %
Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott
Progress: 57/395 pages
Dracula
Leonard Wolf, Bram Stoker
The Guermantes Way
Christopher Prendergast, Mark Treharne, Marcel Proust
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Teachers & Writers Collaborative, Phillip Lopate